Home | Accommodation | Blog | Contact | Dining | Gallery | History | Location | Public-House

History

The Bonchurch Inn started life as the Tap of the Bonchurch Family Hotel. The history goes back to the grant of a lease in 1840 to Bonchurch carpenter Jonathan Jolliffe.

Historic photo of the first Inn

This first early photograph shows a view from the road of the the old Island Stone building housing the original Inn.

There was thought to be a tap room on the ground floor at the front, and living accommodation at the rear.

The upper floor sash window today offers a view to the sea for guests staying in our accommodation suite.

On the far right the wall conceals steps still leading to an upper garden.

On the far left is the outside wall of the stables building now containing the Public House.

Walking forward and bearing left you step into our Dickensian courtyard.

 

Historic photo of the Inn courtyard

The tap continued in operation, becoming the Bonchurch Inn, a name appearing in Kelly’s Directory of 1924/25. 

The coach houses ahead were removed in 1999 allowing for the widening of the courtyard to include a new patio area.

Our small dining room was recently added next to the old Inn building on the right. It is available for parties and meetings.

An early photo of the inn

With the invention of the motor car, the stables and coach houses were no longer required, and the tap was moved across the courtyard to the present larger building.

This third later photograph is taken looking back at visitors enjoying a drink outside the new Public House building.

There is now a main bar and a family room, with a patio eating area for summer months.

Little has changed since the Inn gained its license in the 1840’s, making it one of the most unspoilt Pubs on the Island.

Ulisse and Gillian Besozzi have been landlords since 1984 and are now partners with their children Adrian and Victoria.